Tuesday, December 22, 2009

My 3rd grade daughter has an amazing student teacher that she rants and raves about.?

I got the pleasure to meet her at a school function last week and she really is everything my daughter made her out to be. My daughter has steadily been an average student. She recieves additional services for math and reading. Since her student teacher has been here (for almost 2 months now), she has been bringing home much better grades.





I believe that my daughter's actual teacher is a fantastic person and a tremendous educator. I believe that she has done everything possible with my daughter to help her succeed. Maybe the little extra and indivdualized attention from the student teacher has helped my daughter. I would love to see my daughter is her student teacher's future classroom. As luck may have it, there is an opening for a 4th grade teacher within the school. As the classes switch for subjects, my daughter would be guarunteed to have her student teacher if by chance she gets the job.





My question is this... should I write a letter to the principal or superintendent expressing my feelings about the student teacher and how I would absolutely love to see her teaching 4th grade? I swear that there aren't many fabulous teachers out there, but this young lady has got what it takes to make a major difference in this urban community. Would it be funny if I kept the letter annonymous? I don't want my daughter's teacher to think that I don't think shes doing a great job.





I'm torn.My 3rd grade daughter has an amazing student teacher that she rants and raves about.?
I would write the letter. I don't think it matters if the letter is anonymous or not. As long as you state how much you love the other teacher, but that you just wanted the principal to know how fantastic the student teacher is, it shouldn't be a problem. As a teacher, I would respect a parent sending a letter to my principal about my student teacher. It's also a reflection of her college AND your daughter's regular teacher. A letter like that could go a long way--I say go for it!





Talk about the activities that this teacher planned that your daughter liked, ways that she has gone out of her way to make children feel valued and successful.My 3rd grade daughter has an amazing student teacher that she rants and raves about.?
Definitely write a letter, and don't keep it anonymous. If the Principal for whatever reason does decide to TELL the student teacher about what you wrote, she will only be more grateful and will definitely be that much more attentive with your daughter. :)
third grade it had to be Mrs. Brussow fourth Mrs. deal, fifth Mr. evenson, sixth Mrs. Smith, 7 my momma and eight Mrs. Smith? and the introduction of the Chronicle of Narnia series and i took hers on accident she got me a brand new Chronicle of Narnia series on Christmas. teachers at the elementary high school middle schools don't get enough praise for their contribution for educating America's future successes in life. i encourage u to write the letter to the principal in behalf of the teacher regarding the student teacher that is doing an excellent service for your daughter.
Yes - please write the letter. As an old student teacher - that would have been amazing for a parent to do that for me. If your comfortable with it - I would suggest giving a copy to the student teacher as well. If she doesn't get the job (or plans on looking for employment elsewhere) that letter would be a great tool in interviews.





Parents need to have an active role in education, you seem like the type of parent that believes that as well. Take it to the next level - write the letter.





ADD -- Read your edits - part of the teacher's job is to make sure her student teacher is effective and learning what she should be. The student teacher's wonderful performance is also a testement to her supervising teacher. My sup. teacher was instrumental in my learning/teaching. A good supervising teacher will highlight a student teacher's strengths and help improve the weaknesses. Some of the techniques the student teacher used to help your daughter could very well been taught to her by the supervising teacher. Your letter to the princpal can also include that your daughter has benefited from having both teachers and that sup. teacher is not only a great elem. teacher but a great teacher of teachers. But that you would love to see what stud. teacher can do on her own because you feel she could work wonders with the children in the school district.
Go on..write the letter! I don't think your daughter's 3rd grade teacher would think you were casting aspersions on her ability - specially if you complimented her in the letter too! I think it may really help the student teacher to get the job, and if she's as good as you say she is, then she needs every advantage she can get!


But, I really do think that you should sign the letter! Annonymous letters very seldom give the impression of telling the truth and you would weaken the whole purpose if you didn't sign it! They may even think the student teacher had written it herself - that would certainly do her no good at all!
I have to agree with everyone else that you should send the letter either way, but that it would be better to sign your name. Remember that having a good student teacher reflects well on the training teacher too. It shouldn't make you or the teacher or the student teacher uncomfortable.


I am a teacher and it would please me no end to see a letter like this written about anyone I work with. so often we only hear about problems. I now have a daughter in first grade and have sent in notes to the principal when I feel a teacher has really turned a light on for my daughter. She goes to a great school, there are lots of great teachers. However, when one stands out the principal (and the teacher) should know.


Good luck. and send it even if you just don't feel you can put your name on it.
As a teacher with many years of experience I agree you should write a letter. It could make the difference in this lady getting a job. An anonymous letter, however, would be worthless. For all the principal knows, the student teacher's mother or friend wrote it. Only a signed letter would be taken seriously.


No principal would take this as an aspersion on your child's regular teacher. As another letter writer said, the regular teacher quite likely taught her some of these techniques and also made sure she used her effectively. Some teachers (very few) do not make such good use of their student teachers and either relegate them to the photocopy room or relax or disappear while the student teacher manages the whole class. Your daughter's teacher took advantage of this time to ensure children got all the one on one help they could. You could start your letter by saying you have always been so pleased at how your little one has been taught this year or that she has been so happy in grade 4 this year but since Miss X joined the class you really appreciate how Mrs. Y (the regular teacher) ensured that your little one had the opportunity to work with her. Now you've made them both look good and you go on to praise Miss X's warm personality and caring attitude toward your child.


Your letter could do a lot of good. I've been teaching a long time but a positive parent letter is something I have never thrown away. They mean a lot. Also, a small thank you note to the student teacher and a little good bye gift (a chalk holder, a few teacher supplies, chocolate, any little thing) would also express your appreciation if you want to make sure she knows how you feel. This would not be unusual.


One note, however. The principal is free to organize his staff any way he wants. He may slot the SK teacher up to grade 4 and put the new hire into a different grade. Teachers like to change grades periodically and most (but not all) principals would offer the grade 4 to any existing staff before giving it to a new hire. There is no guarantee about who is teaching what level.
I would let the school principal know exactly how happy you are with this new student teacher. Like you said there aren't enough good teachers now a day and it might help that student teacher to be offered a position in that school once she graduates school. As far as leaving it as anonymous I think that is okay, maybe you can just put that your daughter is in that class and you are pleased with how much better she is doing. Make sure you add how much your daughter loves the teacher too.

No comments:

Post a Comment